Click here for the UGA Postdoc Newsletter Archive.
Monthly Postdoc Social Hour: On every last Friday of the month. We usually start at 6 p.m. but we change the venue from month to month and also do special events every now and then so please check our Facebook page for news and details: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1712120992400697/
PDA Board Meetings: The PDA board meets once a month to discuss topics important to the UGA Postdoctoral community. PDA board meetings are open to all PDA members. These meetings will take place on the last Thursday of every month from 2-3 PM in Coverdell Room 341 . If you have any comments, suggestions or important topics, you would like us to include in the agenda, please let us know and we will do so. If you would like to join one of the meetings to present an idea yourself, please get in touch with us and we will let you know the exact date, time and venue of our next meeting. You can email the Postdoc Association at email@example.com.
- Tuesdays in November, excluding 11/22 – Mentoring Professional Development for Postdocs
Sponsored by OPA with Erin Dolan, at the Vet Med building in Conference Room 2007(222) from 1-2:30 PM. Registration can be found through this link: https://form.jotform.com/222785471848974
- 11/18 – Series III: CV Development Strategies for Potential Permanent Resident Applications
Sponsored by PDA, Facilitated by Robin Catmur-Smith, 11 AM-12PM, Vet Med in room 1070 0311. To join this meeting virtual, click on this link here.
- 12/15 – Virtual Coffee with the Pros: NIH K01 (Mentored Research Scientist Development) Awards Bring your own coffee to this Zoom panel discussion! Three K01 awardees will share their insights into the process of developing a K01 application and their experience carrying out their proposed research, followed by a free-form discussion/Q&A. Our panelists are Dr. Danielle Lambert, Epidemiology & Biostatistics; Dr. Jarrod Mousa, Infectious Diseases; and Dr. Emily Noble, Nutritional Sciences. This event is open to everyone. Postdoctoral researchers, early career faculty, and potential mentors in health-related fields are especially encouraged to attend. Please register by December 12: https://ugeorgia.ca1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_ezmBDZg0co2dysK
- Paths to Permanent Resident Status for Academics seminar that focused on permanent resident status for academics. This event was sponsored by PDA and was facilitated by Robin Catmur-Smith. This event took place on October 17,2022 in Vet Med 1070 0311. The link to the slides used for this session can be found here.
- U.S. Visas for Academics: International Graduate and Post-doctoral Perspectives was a seminar that focused on U.S. Visas for academics with an emphasis on international graduate and post-doctoral perspectives. This event was sponsored by the PDA and was facilitated by Robin Catmur-Smith. This event took place on September 23, 2022, in CoverdellS175. The link to the slides used for this session can be found here.
- Industry Panel: Transitioning from Academia to Industry was a panel that focused on the transition period from academia to industry jobs. This event took place on September 19, 2022, on Zoom. This event was sponsored by the PDA.
- National Postdoc Appreciation Week Pizza Lunch was a pizza lunch sponsored by the OPA to celebrate National Postdoc Appreciation Week. This event took place on September 20, 2022, in Coverdell at the Rotunda.
- “Preparing Academic Job Applications” was a workshop on July 18, 2022, that was designed to get academic job ready. Participants were encouraged to bring their CVs and any draft documents to receive feedback and better prepare for jobs in academia.
- “Coffee Social” was a catch up event on June 23, 2022, designed for postdocs to network and build community with one another.
- “Interested in Faculty Role: Key Aspects When Applying for Faculty Positions” was a panel event on May 19, 2022, focused on experiences around applying for academic jobs and well as an opportunity to ask questions about the panelists experiences and recommendations for when applying to jobs in academia.
- The online course titled “The Postdoc Academy: Succeeding as a Postdoc” began April 26, 2022, on edX. This 6-week course was designed to help you create a rewarding experience that would launch you into your chosen career path. Each week of the course was 1-2 hours, but could be completed at any point during that week. Registration was located here: https://www.edx.org/course/the-postdoc-academy-succeeding-as-a-postdoc
- National Postdoc Appreciation Week, September 21-25, 2020. The Office of Postdoctoral Affairs is pleased to offer and advertise the following to celebrate UGA’s postdocs this year:
- Office of Postdoc Affairs will reimburse the cost of registration for UGA postdocs to attend Life Sciences Industry Day.
- Office of Postdoc Affairs reimbursed UGA postdocs 50% ($50 maximum) of an annual membership fee for a national/international academic or professional society membership fee paid in the past year.
- The National Postdoctoral Association (NPA) is holding the first virtual National Postdoc Appreciation Week (NPAW) celebration. Events include a keynote facilitated by the NPA with speakers, John Beacom, Ph.D., and Christine Pfund, Ph.D., discussing best practices for mentorship; virtual networking; workshops hosted by the National Research Mentoring Network, and The Postdoc Academy; and other curated events. All, including postdocs and PIs, are welcome to join.
- FDA-GMP Networking Happy Hour for Graduate Students and Postdoctoral Trainees. 5:15-6:45 pm, Wednesday, March 11, 2020. Hill Atrium – Georgia Center for Continuing Education (Athens, GA). Join us for an evening of networking with graduate students, postdoctoral trainees, and industry professionals at the 44th Annual International GMP Conference at the Georgia Center for Continuing Education and Hotel. This is a FREE networking event offered by the UGA Graduate School, the Office of Postdoctoral Affairs, and the College of Pharmacy.
- UGA Postdoc Association – Coffee and Bagels: Wednesday, February 12, 2020. 9:00 am to 10:00 am, Coverdell Building Lobby.
- The Postdoc Academy: Succeeding as a Postdoc – UGA’s Local Learning Community: An exciting professional development opportunity that has been designed specifically for postdocs. The online sessions (self-paced, on your own schedule) will begin the week of January 13, 2020 for 6 weeks. UGA’s local learning community will meet once each week for discussion and questions beginning the week of January 20, 2020. Check the email sent to the Postdoc listserv for full details of registration.
- Office of Proposal Enhancement Fall 2019 and Spring 2010 Events.
- PDA Fall Travel Award Competition: Deadline October 8, 2019.
- Life Sciences Industry Day 2019: Monday, September 23, 9:00 am to 7:00 pm, The Georgia Center. Co-sponsored by the Office of Postdoc Affairs. Life Sciences Industry Day 2019 is a professional development event for graduate students (postdocs also welcome!) in the life sciences and related fields.
- National Postdoc Appreciation Week (NPAW) – September 16-20, 2019
- CV Critique: Monday, September 16, 10:00 am to 12:00 pm, Room S141 Coverdell Building.
- Pizza Lunch: Wednesday, September 18, 12:00 pm to 1:30 pm, Coverdell Rotunda.
- Breakfast: Friday, September 20, 8:30 am to 10:00 am, Coverdell Rotunda.
- August 5, 2019 – Career Bootcamp for Postdocs and PhD Students. 9:00 am – 4:00 pm. Correll Hall. The $15 registration fee will be fully reimbursed by OPA after you attend the complete workshop.
- July 12, 2019 – Former NIH NICHHD (National Institute of Child Health and Human Development) Program Officer Susan Newcomer will talk about “How to write an NIH research grant” on Friday, July 12th at 10am in 206 Aderhold Hall.
- June 28, 2019 – Complimentary Breakfast for Postdocs. 9:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. The Postdoctoral Association would like to celebrate the transition of our Executive Committee by greeting the leaving members and welcoming the new ones by offering to our community complimentary breakfast: coffee and bagels. This will take place on Friday June 28th, at Coverdell lobby in Athens campus. So please, come by and grab your breakfast between 9 and 10 am.
- May 4, 2019 – Postdocs Day in the Park. 11.00a.m. to 3.00 p.m. The UGA Postdoctoral Association is happy to invite you all to the annual PDA – Day in the Park on Saturday, May 4th (May the fourth be with you!) from 11.00a.m. to 3.00 p.m. We have reserved the picnic shelter 1 at Sandy Creek Park.
- May 1, 2019 – Deadline for application to PDA Board positions. (The deadline was extended to May 10, 2019.)
- April 15, 2019, 9:00 am – 11:00 am, Coverdell Building – Mini-Workshop: Grant Opportunities for Postdocs at UGA. Click here for a GoToMeeting recording of the workshop plus other handouts and materials.
- April 19, 2019 – xPD Site Visit: The Atlanta Federal Research Bank. This is a day-long visit to Atlanta with transportation provided by the UGA Graduate School. Details and registration can be found here. Contact for questions: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- March 31, 2019 – Deadline for the PDA Spring Travel Award Competition.
- March 18th, 2019; 1:00 pm to 3:00 pm. NIH Training Officer Onsite, Coverdell S175. Interested in applying for a postdoc fellowship or K award form NIH? This is a great opportunity to get more information from a NIH officer! (Non-OPA, Non-PDA event.)
- March 13th, 2019; 5:15 – 6:45 pm. Networking Event at the 49th Annual GMP Conference.The Office of Postdoctoral Affairs and the Graduate School are proud to present an exciting opportunity for you to network and mingle with FDA and pharmaceutical industry leaders at the upcoming 49th Annual GMP Conference here in Athens. Click here to see photos from the event!
- October 26, 2018: Deadline for the 2018-2019 Fall PDA Travel Award Competition.
- September 20, 2018: National Postdoc Appreciation Week (NPAW) Pizza-to-go! National Postdoc Appreciation Week (NPAW) is September 17-21 this year and the Office of Postdoctoral Affairs is providing a pizza to-go lunch for UGA postdocs!
- September 21, 2018: “An Inside Look at NIH Policies and Opportunities” Special Talk by Larry Tabak, Principal Deputy Director of the National Institutes of Health (NIH). 2:30 pm in the Coverdell Auditorium, S175. Dr. Tabak is visiting UGA and specifically asked to meet with young investigators to discuss opportunities and policies at NIH. Click here to view the slides and recording of the talk.
- September 17, 2018: Panel Discussion re Career development resources for UGA postdocs. 9:00 – 11:00 am, Coverdell Auditorium. In celebration of National Postdoc Appreciation Week (September 17-21), the UGA Office of Postdoctoral Affairs is hosting a panel discussion to highlight programs and offices on the UGA campus offering career development and other support to postdocs. The event will include coffee and light breakfast before the panel discussion, and an informal meet-and-greet afterwards. Click here for some of the resources provided by panelists.